Neons + Neutrals
One of my new favourite trends that was seen with Resort 2012 collections, as seen at Stella McCartney, and on the Spring 2012 runways, BCBG Max Azaria, was the presence of neons and neutrals. Being a child of the 80′s I have always had a soft spot for neon and the interpretation of mixing it with neutrals makes it so fresh and modern for 2012. Here are some great pieces to incorporate this trend in either a big way or a small way:
1… Hanky Panky Nude Attitude Bralette. $54 USD. www.shopbop.com. I love love love this bra. How fun to add the trend in with no major commitment as no one else needs to see this but you. If you do want to show it off more, where it with a loose tank over top and let hints of the neon peek out.
2… Jeffery Campbell Colourblock Corset Lita Boot. $196 USD. www.urbanoutfitters.com. These booties are so much fun and allow you to start working the trend now with jeans and a sweater and then in warm weather with a cute dress and bare legs.
3… Emilio Pucci Sequin Maxi Skirt. $8005 USD. www.net-a-porter.com. This is definitely an investment piece or you can just look at the concept for inspiration and find a more affordable version somewhere else like www.allsaints.com etc. I just love how there is such a great mix of neon’s and neutrals in the design that allows it to look like a beautiful piece of art.
4… Sashi New Nugget Bracelet. $26 CDN. www.dealuxe.ca. These Sashi bracelet is a fun accessory on its own, or wear a bunch of them stacked together.
5… Tkees Mixed Palette Flip Flops. $55 CDN. www.holtrenfrew.com. Tkees are still my ultimate luxury in flip flops. The leather with the memory foam makes them so comfortable and I love this new addition with the neon straps. They just make me so happy. Can’t wait to live in these this summer.
6… Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent Caroline Small Cross Body Bag. $225 CDN. www.dealuxe.com. The combo of the leather and the printed canvass make this a great bag that can be used everyday. The cross body is my favourite style as it lets me keep my hands free and clear to run my errands and shop.
7…T by Alexander Wang Draped-Back Stretch Jersey Mini Dress. $155 USD. www.net-a-porter.com. This grey and lemon yellow patterned mini dress is just so much fun. I feel I would live in it for day and evening. I love that the pattern is so small that it will allow the dress to remain timeless. On my wishlist for sure.
Nautical had a strong presence with many of the resort 2012 collections. It always has been a favourite look of mine as it has a great fresh feel for spring and now is the time to go overboard and really play with it as seen on the runway for Yves Saint Laurent and The Row. Here are a few great inspiration pieces to get you started incorporating a little bit of a nautical influence when getting dressed.
1. Joe Fresh Marine Dress. $29 Cdn. This is such a fun and affordable way to get in on this trend. I love the band of red on the bottom for a pop of colour. Wear it with tights now and great wedges in the spring.
2. J. Crew Merriweather Jacket. $148 US (on sale $120 USD). With the arrival of J. Crew here in Toronto, my J. Crew love has grown. This jacket is a fun way to have the nautical trend both for work and weekend. You can dress it up with great pants and a blouse for work-wear and then really play with it when off duty.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Rivierea Starfish-Print Canvass Wedge Sandal. $745 USD. If you have the budget, how fun are these? I love the blue and white colour scheme and the playfulness of the starfish motif. I would wear them with a great pair of bell bottom jeans or a fantastic mini dress. For a really fun full nautical feel it would make a great outfit with the Joe Fresh Marine Dress.
4. Kain Label Devyn Sweater. $152 Cdn. This sweater is great with the layered look built right in. Pair it tucked in with chic pencil skirt or wear it untucked with casual khaki’s like the All Saints Filter Chino.
5. Alice + Olivia Olsen Stripe Stretch Silk Playsuit. $295 USD. Playsuits are a lazy girls way to look put together in no time. The halter neckline and the wide stripes make it a fresh take on the nautical feel.
6. All Saints Filter Chino. $95 USD. These slimmed leg rolled hem chino’s scream hanging out on the water and yachting. They are perfect for casual Friday or the weekend. I love the idea of them with a the J. Crew Merriweather jacket and a beautiful blouse and heels for casual Friday and then pair it with the Kain Label Devyn sweater for casual.
7. Gorjana Anchor Bracelet. $50 USD. This is a great way to work a little bit of nautical in to your everyday wardrobe. I am a huge fan of Gorjana jewelry and this anchor bracelet in gold plate or sterling silver is just to fun to pass up on.
I am currently crazy about Joes Jeans Fifty Five Colours for women. They are right on trend with the bright jeans and you can get them in Fifty Five Colours! They are available in skinny jeans and shorts and there is truly a colour for everyone. What a great way to start brightening up this season with some great coloured jeans. You can go super intense with the neon’s or a more subtle with the sorbet shades or the the classic colours. Definitely worth a look.